Sunday, September 2, 2012

Change is Good, Right?

So, although I don't mind sharing some details of my life on this blog, I'm hesitant to become overly personal. For this reason, it's been difficult to think of something to write about over the last few months. But today I feel so grateful for the series of events that's happened that I just can't keep it to myself. So, around my twenty-first birthday, I decided I needed to serve a mission for my church. In order to serve, there is an application process, and part of this process is a physical exam because missions are physically demanding. Although I was somewhat concerned about this physical (you may recall that this was around the same time I had mono,) I went into it with relative optimism. I came out of the exam not with the approval to serve as I had hoped, but with an urging to seek further medical attention. So, that afternoon, I made a tear-filled and anxious journey back home with my mom. From April to August, I spent some quality time at the hospital, multiple doctors' offices, and recovering at home. (Like I said, I'm hesitant to share too many details, so if you're curious about the health problem I'm unwilling to name, just ask.) With this medical condition, I became ineligible to serve a mission, at least until my health stabilizes a bit. And that leads me to where I am now: in Provo, resuming my studies at Brigham Young University. I didn't want to return this semester nor was I really prepared to return. But here I am. And I'm already overwhelmed with school, finding good doctors out here, getting healthy, trying to find time for a social life, and possibly adding a job into the mix. But somehow I know that everything is going to be all right.

1 comment: