Friday, February 3, 2012

Something New

     Sometimes I want to be profound when I blog. I want people to read my posts and think to themselves, "Man, that girl has some really great things to say." Or something like "That was inspiring; I think I am going to make some changes in my life." But usually I just ramble until I get tired of seeing my own thoughts put into words or I remember that I have other tasks that need to be accomplished. So, true to form, that's exactly what I'm going to do.
     I am going through an interesting time of my life. I was figuring out which classes I should take for spring and summer terms, and I realized that, by taking classes all summer, I would be finished with classes after fall semester. I would simply be out of classes to take. (That's not exactly true; I could probably stay at BYU forever and just take a whole bunch of random classes until I get kicked out. I just mean that I would be done with my major/minor classes.) And that means that I would need to graduate in December. December 2012. A semester earlier than I've always planned. So far in my life, I haven't really had to make choices. It was already laid out for me that I would go to elementary school. Check! Then middle school. Check! Then high school. Check! Then college. Check? What comes after college? I am suddenly faced with the biggest decision I have ever had to make: What do I want to be now that I've grown up? I still have no idea, but if I figure it out, no... when I figure it out, I'll let you know.
     That's just the tip of the iceberg, folks. I've been put in a lot of situations recently that have made me happy, sad, confused, afraid, and hopeful. Sometimes simultaneously, even. I'm starting to realize that life doesn't always just flow naturally. I mean, in a way it does. Life goes on until... well, until it doesn't. But something one of my professors said really hit me hard: "We all have to make life happen." I am the one who decides what I want to do, who I want to surround myself with, and where I want to be going with my life. Although this is really hard for me, I am trying to take life one day at a time. So, here's to making life happen, even when it's difficult.

1 comment:

  1. Man, that girl has some really great things to say. But seriously, Emily. You do, and I'm so happy that you are taking your life into your own hands. It is inspiring, and I'm not just saying that because you want someone to. You have inspired me. Love and miss you, Friend!

    ReplyDelete